Monday, February 27, 2012

Pagan Blogosphere

Wow! After looking around the Internet for different ways to promote this site, I've managed to stumble onto the wider pagan blogosphere. I'm not sure why I had assumed it would be difficult to find other pagan blogs. For some reason I was still imagining the landscape I had known when Geocities was a popular website.

It's cool, but humbling. There are so many more well informed pagan bloggers out there. One of the neat things I noticed is that other blogging sites keep a list of other blogging sites in their side bar. I like this idea and I think I'll implement it (I'll create a form later for user to submit new links for the list). I'm humbled by others who are already so involved with pagan culture and are reporting issues relevant to that culture.

This has made me realize that when I started thinking about this blog I already had some definite ideas about what I was going to write, and I was ignoring a lot of other issues that touch pagan culture. Now, my dilemma is whether to expand my thinking and start following wider sociopolitical issues as they affect pagans, or should I maintain my focus on the areas of paganism that I'm passionate about?

7 comments:

  1. My suggestion is for now, write about what you're inspired to write about. But at the same time try to keep yourself informed and keep trying to expand your perspective to keep your inspiration fresh. Maybe you'll end up going a different direction than you had planned, maybe not.

    Also, you had mentioned the possibility of having multiple contributors to this blog. I think that will also help keep your focus from getting too narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm thinking. I'm trying to decide how to vet potential contributors; I don't want to open the floodgates and end up with a bunch of illiterate trash getting posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could set up an application process to become a contributor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alternatively, you could just issue invitations based on whether you find readers' comments well-thought-out and well expressed.

    Of course that means that first your blog needs to start getting comments from people other than me ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll chime in. I would far rather read a blog when the writer is passionate about the subject. So if you can write passionately about sociopolitical issues, go for it. But if you're more comfortable using this blog as an exploration of your faith and your viewpoint, that will be more engaging for your reader.

    -Lynn

    P.S. Just as a suggestion, and feel free to ignore it, I have the captcha feature turned off on both my blogs. I find it encourages more commenting, and I've not encountered any bots so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on! Thanks for the encouragement Lynn.

    I didn't know I had a CAPTCHA test enabled. I'll see if I can turn that off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got it turned off. It was a headache. The setting is hidden on the Blogger admin UI.

    ReplyDelete